Bodysuits are designed to go under clothes as an alternative to a tank top or lingerie. They are tight-fitting and have elastic bands at the bottom and top for easy use with underwear. Leotards for women are also called "unitards," pant-leotards, or one-piece leotards. They're usually used for sports like dance, gymnastics, skiing, skating, wrestling, etc. You might have been confused by them in the past, but if you read on, you'll understand everything.
What is a leotard?A leotard is a skintight fabric covering the chest, back and upper stomach. Typically, it is a single piece of fabric with a zipper and has long sleeves. A leotard costume is designed for use by gymnasts, ballerinas, and cheerleaders. They are made of stretchy spandex or Lycra material and have elastic bands at the top to help them stay in place.
Leotards can be sleeveless, short-sleeved, or long-sleeved. Those worn by gymnasts can be very closely fitted and have leg holes that are open at the bottom, similar to the design of a skirt. A ballet leotard is slightly different from the standard gymnastic leotard because it has longer sleeves, shorter legs, and is more form-fitting.
What is a bodysuit?A bodysuit is a very close-fitting garment that covers your torso and bottom. A body suit has snaps or zippers down its center, making it easy to get on and off. It is usually made of stretchy material that hugs your body closely. They are often worn with short jackets, leggings or skirts and are generally easier to move in than a leotard. Like the leotard, they can be sleeveless or have long sleeves. Many ballerinas wear long sleeve bodysuits instead of long sleeve leotards because they find them more comfortable during their performances.
Bodysuits ccan be part of casual wear, but they are also worn in some sports such as swimming and diving, ice skating, horse riding and motorcycle riding. Women wear bodysuits for their slimming effects, although this depends on the suit you choose.
The similarities between leotards and bodysuitsLeotards and body suits are similar in that:
1. Both are made of tight-fitting fabric and are worn by ballerinas, gymnasts, ice skaters and cheerleaders.
2. They come in short or long sleeves, depending on the activity.
3. They don't cover the legs of the wearer.
4. Both are made of stretchy material that holds their shape and helps you move more quickly, with elastic bands around the top for further support and comfort.
The Differences between leotards and bodysuitsLeotards and body suits are different in that:
1. A leotard is a skintight, a one-piece garment that covers the chest, back and upper stomach, while a body suit is a close-fitting garment that covers only the torso and bottom.
2. A bodysuit has a skirt-like design, therefore more suitable for females, while a leotard doesn't have one, and thus is unisex.
3. A bodysuit is worn with short jackets, leggings or skirts, whereas a leotard can be worn with pants or skirts depending on the style of dancing and the dancer's preference.
4. A bodysuit has zippers at its center front, which are easy to put on and take off, while a leotard has one large grouping of snaps or buttons around the neck area as a fastener.